Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lost in translation.

A funny thing happened at our Home Study interview last Friday. Actually, a HILARIOUS thing happened. We're sitting there almost to the end of the Adoptive Parent Training portion, and our caseworker says she'd like to read a paragraph to us and get our responses.

So, she reads it, and when she's done she looks up, teary-eyed with a look of expectancy on her face. I look over and Ben and he has kind of a shocked/confused look on his face (oh how I wish this had been caught on video). She finally breaks the silence and says, "So, what do you think?" I immediately answered with a genuine, "It makes me want to cry!" The paragraph had really moved me and caused me to think about our child and what he/she will be feeling and thinking. Ben looks at me, then looks at her as she's waiting for his response and says, "What do you want me to do with that?" So...here's the paragraph, and then I'll explain further what happened.















So, as she's reading the paragraph I'm of course identifying with our child - which w
as the intention. Ben, on the other hand (insert a heartfelt "Bless his heart..." here), thought this paragraph was about US. Pahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now would be a good time to read it again and get a GOOD laugh!

Finally, after a couple of seconds he bursts out with, "OH! OOOOHHH! This is about our child!" We all busted out laughing! It took us a few minutes to regain composure and then as we tried to move on, one of the three of us would start up again. It was so hilarious! Our caseworker said she's never had that happen before, and she'll never be able to read that paragraph again without thinking of Ben.

We laughed for about 10 minutes straight on the way home. And then of course, we had to share it with friends and family. Ben's dad said he really got it right - he wasn't projecting his feelings onto some child, he was literally feeling what they will be feeling! HA. Whatever makes you feel better, Ben. ;) Wow, we made some pretty great memories that day. This story is definitely going in our Baby Book.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Abby! I found your blog through Melissa. I have loved reading your journey through adoption so far. I've been so touched and encouraged. I saw a few posts ago your husband had worked under David Platt - I've just finished reading Radical! God is doing a big work in mine and my husband's heart right now. You and your blog - so blessed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Abby. You (or I guess your husband) know how to make a girl go from crying to laughing in a matter of seconds! :) Thanks for sharing. Loving reading your blog. I want to adopt one day too. I have been praying about it for a while.

    ReplyDelete